Aftercare for Saniderm/Tegaderm type bandage
- Keep this bandage on for 2-4 days
- You can shower with it but try to avoid soaking it
- You will see a build up of fluids, (blood/plasma/tattoo pigment) under the bandage, while this is not pretty, it is perfectly normal. If there’s a lot of fluid build up or this weirds you out, you can remove the bandage and switch to “traditional healing” of your tattoo
- It’s extremely rare but if you have any irritation or reaction to the bandage, remove it ASAP
- Removal of bandage – Carefully peel the bandage off from it’s edge, preferably in the shower
- Wash tattoo gently with warm soap and water and rinse thoroughly and continue to “traditional healing” care
How does Saniderm/Tegaderm work?
Saniderm/Tegaderm is a medical grade, breathable, waterproof tattoo bandage. It drastically reduces the risk of contaminants from entering the fresh tattoo. When you wear a bandage like this you are days ahead in your healing process compared to a “traditional bandage”. Your tattoo is much more healed after 3-4 days of wearing one of these and you’ll have much less scabbing compared to traditional open air healing.
Traditional Aftercare Instructions
- Leave the bandage on at least 3-4 hours, overnight is good, especially on large tattoos
- Remove the bandage and carefully wash with a mild soap and warm water, rinse thoroughly and dry with a clean towel
After 24 hours you’ll begin to apply a small amount of lotion or Aquaphor to your new tattoo 3-4 times a day until healed.
- Wash your tattoo 2-3 times a day while healing.
- Your tattoo will be mostly healed in 1-2 weeks.
- Scabbing or flaking is normal during the healing.
- Do not pick or scratch your new tattoo, keep your pets away from it too.
- Wear loose fitting clothes to avoid irritating your new tattoo. Clothing rubbing on your fresh tattoo can really irritate it and cause it to heal rough and lines to spread or colors to be dull.
- No swimming, hot tubs, or direct sunlight until healed.
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, CALL YOUR ARTIST – 404-347-9595